Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Made-from-Scratch Homemade Chili Recipe

Even though it's March, it was snowing yesterday--and we have about a foot of snow still on the ground!  Weather like this makes me crave comfort foods like this yummy chili.  It's warm, hearty, and so delicious.  

Mmm, peppers, tomatoes, onions--chili has lots of veggie goodness, plus plenty of healthy and filling beans.  I like to start with dried beans because I like to control the salt in my dishes, and because I like texture better.  But, if you're in a hurry you can substitute canned beans.  You can also make it in the crockpot all day and come home to delicious chili waiting for you.


 Ingredients:  For about 8 servings
  • 8 oz dried kidney beans
  • 4 oz dried Great Northern beans
  • 4 oz dried black beans
  • 12 oz ground beef
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • Two 14.5 oz cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 8 oz can no-salt-added tomato sauce
  • 1 tsp salt (if using canned beans, I would start with 1/2 tsp and add more if needed)
  • 1 to 3 tsp chili powder, to taste
  • 1/2 tsp dried basil
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • hot sauce to taste
Note:  if using canned beans, substitute two 15 oz cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained

 Let's get cooking:
1.  Rinse and soak dry beans overnight (or quick soak) according to package directions.  Drain beans, then place in a pot with enough water to cover the beans by at least 1 inch.  Bring to a boil, then simmer about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until soft.

2.  In a large skillet, cook the ground beef until meat is cooked through.  Drain fat.  Remove from skillet.

3.  In skillet, cook onions, peppers, and garlic until soft.

4.  In a stockpot, combine the ground beef, onion, peppers, garlic, tomatoes, and tomato sauce.  Add the cooked beans and spices.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat.  Simmer 1 hour. 

Slow-cooker directions:  Follow directions as above.  In step four, combine the ingredients in a slow-cooker.  Cook on high for 8 hours or on low 4 hours.
Since I have one- and three-year-olds, I don't make my chili very spicy.  Instead, after we've dished up our chili, my husband and I add hot sauce to taste.  This way, each person controls how spicy it is.

Enjoy your hot, hearty, homemade chili!
-Lily


Linked up at some of the great blogs on my sidebar!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation--your comments make me happy!